Summer is here, we can feel it in the temperature increase and our moods… and the jump in our electricity bills!
We’ve got the top ten ways we can think of to beat the heat this summer.
- Drink a ton of water! While you should be staying hydrated year round you have to up that amount a little bit in the summertime, especially if you are doing a lot of activities that involve excessive sweating.
Water isn’t the only option to stay hydrated, but it is the most accessible to many of us. You can also drink tea, fruit infused water, and juices!
- Try to keep excessive sweating at bay – it may be difficult… but it will keep you from getting too dehydrated during the day! Try applying antiperspirant in the evening so it works more effectively during the day and wear more breathable clothing materials!
- Make you own air conditioner! Running a traditional air conditioner can be expensive, so if you’re looking to cut down on costs we suggest finding a DIY version to keep cool!
- Make the most of your fans! Try facing your fan towards an open window at night, your room will stay much cooler and you will likely get a better night sleep.
- Avoid using the oven! Try out some great summer recipes like cold soups, salads, the BBQ or other kitchen appliances that don’t emit so much heat.
- Even though it’s hot outside that doesn’t mean you have to stop exercising. Try some new water sports, avoid exercising when the sun is at its strongest and exercise in short bursts.
- Keep your windows closed during the day and use insulated drapes! This will keep the sun and the heat out! Once the sun has gone down you can open the windows and even hang a damp towel to add a bit of extra cooling as the breeze moves through.
- Staying cool while you sleep can be a difficult task, and trying to fall asleep with a higher body temperature can almost be impossible! Try sleeping with a pillow that has been cooled, or a damp towel across your head!
- Try using essential oils to keep cool! Peppermint and Spearmint both contain menthol which has cooling properties. Add a few drops into a diffuser or make a body mist!
- Find shade! Pretty self-explanatory we think… and it will keep your skin from burning!